Your FoodShare benefits will be put into your FoodShare account using an electronic benefits transfer (EBT) system. Once your benefits are in your account, you can use your Wisconsin QUEST card to buy food at grocery stores and at some farmers markets that accept EBT payments. To pay for your food, swipe your QUEST card at the swipe card terminal in the checkout line, and enter your personal identification number (PIN).
Each month, you may use your QUEST card as often as you want. When you use your QUEST card, there is:
- No minimum dollar amount you need to spend.
- No fee to make a purchase.
What can I buy?
You can use your benefits to buy foods such as:
- Breads and cereals.
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Meats, fish, and poultry.
- Dairy products.
- Seeds and plants to grow food for your family to eat.
For a more detailed list, visit the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) website.
If you eat at a group meal site for senior citizens or have your meals delivered to your home, you can use FoodShare benefits to pay for those meals if the site or provider is authorized to accept the QUEST card.
You can also use your benefits at one of the following if the facility is authorized to accept the QUEST card:
- Drug and alcohol treatment center
- Domestic violence or domestic abuse shelter
- Homeless shelter
- Group home for people with disabilities
What can't I buy?
You cannot use your benefits to buy:
- Nonfood items (pet foods, paper products, soaps, household supplies, grooming items, tooth paste, cosmetics, etc.).
- Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes, or tobacco.
- Food that will be eaten in the store.
- Hot foods (food cooked and served hot at the store).
- Vitamins and medicines.
You also cannot use your benefits to pay for deposit fees on containers, such as glass milk bottles and other returnable soft drink cans or bottles.
A store may need to increase or decrease the amount of your QUEST card purchase to correct an error (for example, a system error). You will get a letter that explains why the adjustment is needed. If you do not agree with the adjustment, you will have 15 calendar days from the date of the letter to file for a fair hearing. Information about filing for a fair hearing will be in your letter. The amount of the adjustment may stay in your account until a fair hearing decision is made.
To learn more about how to use your QUEST card or how to contact QUEST Card Customer Service, watch 'A Recipe for Good Health: An informational video about your QUEST card and how to use it.' (English - Hmong - Spanish - Russian)