The x-ray unit is updating their online payment system. The current online payment system will be turned off on Friday, February 8, 2019. The new online payment system should be launched during March 2019.
Please submit a check made payable to Department of Health Services to:
DHS XRAY PROTECTION
PO BOX 93521
MILWAUKEE WI 53293-3521
Updates will be posted here as new information is available. If you have questions, please email DHSXray@dhs.wisconsin.gov, or call 608-267-4782.
Section 254.31- 254.45 of the Wisconsin Statutes requires annual registration, by the Department of Health Services, of all x-ray devices.
Wisconsin X-ray Facility Statute and Administrative Code
- ss 254.35 -- Wisconsin Statute
- DHS 157 -- Administrative Rules (Appendices M, N, R,)
a. Pertinent Medical X-ray, Subchapters: I, III, VIII, X, XI, XII, Appendices: M, N, R
b. Pertinent Dental X-ray, Chiropractor, Subchapters: I, III, VIII, X, XI, XII
Podiatry and Veterinary, Appendix: R
c. Pertinent Industrial X-ray, Subchapters: I, III, IV, VIII, X, XI, XII
d. Pertinent Industrial Cabinet, Subchapters: I, III, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII and Analytical X-ray, Appendix: R
e. Pertinent Subchapter/Appendices titles: I - General Provisions, III - Standards for Protection from radiation, IV - Radiation Safety Requirements for Industrial Radiographic Operations, VIII - X-ray Device Requirements, IX - Cabinet and Analytical X-ray Systems, X - Notices, Instructions and Reports to Workers, XI - Inspection by the Department, XII - Enforcement, L-Topics to be covered in the Cross-training of Operators of PET/CT systems, M - Information to be submitted by persons proposing to conduct Healing Arts Screening, N - Exemptions from Patient Shielding for certain Fluoroscopic Procedures, R - Examples of Severity Levels, T - Nationally Tracked Source Thresholds.
Instructions for Registering X-ray Facilities:
To register x-ray devices at a new location, or register a change in ownership: Fill out form Application for Registration of X-Ray Devices, F-47097 (PDF), and return, with the appropriate fee (see Fee Schedule) made payable to the Department of Health Services, to:
Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Division of Public Health
X-ray Device Registration
PO Box 2659
Madison, WI 53701-2659
To register changes in the number of tubes (new x-ray devices or a change in the tube count), for those locations currently registered with the Department of Health Services, send the above address the following information:
- X-ray device registration ID number
- Device detail
- Model number
- Serial number
- Max kVp and Max mA
- Year installed
- Use of device: fluoroscopic, radiographic, therapeutic, etc.
No fee is required when adding or changing device information to a current registration. The change in device information will appear on your next annual renewal notice.
- Multiple x-ray units at a single radiation installation and under the control of one person may be registered on a single registration application and for one fee.
- If the units/sources are located at separate addresses, each installation will require a separate registration and fee.
- Registration of sources of ionizing radiation must be made by the person in control.
- Renewal registration applications are sent out by the Department of Health Services in November of each year.
If you have questions, please contact staff at the Division of Public Health for assistance.
To assist with speedier service, we now have a group email. Please feel free to send us any questions, technical or administrative.
DHS Radiation Protection personnel conduct survey inspections of x-ray units to determine compliance with DHS 157. After an inspection, a copy of the report will be sent to the registrant.
Operator/Radiographer License Information
Wisconsin requires all operators of x-ray units used for non-dental diagnostic purposes on humans to obtain a radiographer license or limited x-ray machine operator (LXMO) permit. To obtain information regarding the requirements and application process for either a licensed radiographer or LXMO permit, contact the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services.
Additional contact information:
- State of Wisconsin, Department of Safety and Professional Services, PO Box 8935, Madison, WI 53708-8935
- Street Address: Department of Safety and Professional Services, 1400 East Washington Ave., Room 112, Madison, WI 53703
- Phone: 608-266-2112, 877-617-1565
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information, see the Wisconsin Society of Radiologic Technologists State Licensing webpage.
- Fee Schedule for registering Ionizing Radiation Devices
- State of Wisconsin Mammography Compliance (MQSA)
- FDA site for X-ray machine requirements
- NEXT (Nationwide Evaluation of X-ray Trends) Overview and results 9/2003.
- X-Ray Regulatory Guide - Radiation Safety Program.
X-ray Program Associate
Division of Public Health
Radiation Protection Section
P.O. Box 2659
Madison, WI 53701-2659