Section 254.31- 254.45 of the Wisconsin Statutes requires annual registration, by the Department of Health Services, of all x-ray devices.
NEW: The Department of Health Services Radiation Protection Section requests your assistance with completing the X-Ray Inspection Improvement survey. The survey results will be used to assess and improve the x-ray inspection process. The survey will be available through November 2015.
Licensing of Radiographers/X-Ray Machine Operators as per 2009 Wisconsin Act 106 will be under the auspices of the Department of Safety and Professional Services. For additional information, see the Wisconsin Society of Radiologic Technologists State Licensing webpage.
Wisconsin X-ray Device/Facility Statute and Administrative Code
- ss 254.35 -- Wisconsin Statute
- DHS 157 -- Administrative Rules (Appendices M, N, R,)
a. Pertinent Medical X-ray -» Subchapters: I, III, VIII, X, XI, XII
Appendices: M, N, R
b. Pertinent Dental X-ray, Chiropractor, Subchapters: I, III, VIII, X, XI, XII
Podiatry and Veterinary -» Appendix: R
c. Pertinent Industrial X-ray -» Subchapters: I, III, IV, VIII, X, XI, XII
d. Pertinent Industrial Cabinet Subchapters: I, III, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII
and Analytical X-ray -» Appendix: R
e. Pertinent Subchapter/Appendices titles: I - General Provisions, III - Standards for Protection from radiation, IV - Radiation Safety Requirements for Industrial Radiographic Operations, VIII - X-ray Device Requirements, IX - Cabinet and Analytical X-ray Systems, X - Notices, Instructions and Reports to Workers, XI - Inspection by the Department, XII - Enforcement, M - Information to be submitted by persons proposing to conduct Healing Arts Screening, N - Exemptions from Patient Shielding for certain Fluoroscopic Procedures, R - Examples of Severity Levels, T - Nationally Tracked Source Thresholds.
Instructions for Registering X-ray Devices:
To register x-ray devices at a new location, or register a change in ownership: Fill out form F-47097, Application for Registration of X-Ray Devices (PDF, 29 KB), and return, with the appropriate fee (see Fee Schedule) made payable to the Department of Health Services, to:Wisconsin Department of Health Services
Division of Public Health
X-ray Device Registration
P.O. Box 2659
Madison, WI 53701-2659
To register changes in the number of tubes (new x-ray devices or a change in the tube count), for those locations currently registered with the Department of Health Services, send the above address the following information:
- X-ray device registration ID number
- Device detail
- Model number
- Serial number
- Max kVp and Max mA
- Year installed
- Use of device: fluoroscopic, radiographic, therapeutic, etc.
No fee is required when adding or changing device information to a current registration. The change in device information will appear on your next annual renewal notice.
- Multiple x-ray units at a single radiation installation and under the control of one person may be registered on a single registration application and for one fee.
- If the units/sources are located at separate addresses, each installation will require a separate registration and fee.
- Registration of sources of ionizing radiation must be made by the person in control.
- Renewal registration applications are sent out by DHS in November of each year.
If you have questions, please contact staff at the Division of Public Health for assistance.
To assist with speedier service, we now have a group email at DHSXrayTanning@dhs.wisconsin.gov. Please feel free to send us any questions, technical or administrative.
DHS Radiation Protection personnel conduct survey inspections of x-ray units to determine compliance with DHS 157. After an inspection, a copy of the report will be sent to the registrant.
- Fee Schedule for registering Ionizing Radiation Devices
- State of Wisconsin Mammography Compliance (MQSA) link
- FDA site for X-ray machine requirements:
- Dental Guide X-ray Manual 4/2012. (PDF, 54 KB)
- Chiropractic X-ray Regulatory Guide 4/2012. (PDF, 77 KB)
- Medical Offices and Clinics X-ray Regulatory Guide 4/2012. (PDF, 75.3 KB)
- Veterinary X-ray Regulatory Guide 4/2012. (PDF, 41 KB)
- Podiatry X-ray Regulatory Guide 4/2012. (PDF, 51 KB)
- NEXT (Nationwide Evaluation of X-ray Trends) Overview and results 9/2003.
William Balke, X-ray Supervisor
Sandra Anible, X-ray Program Associate
|Division of Public Health
Radiation Protection Section
P.O. Box 2659
Madison, WI 53701-2659
Fax: (608) 267-4799
|J. James Stickney
|Laura Molleson, R.T.(R)(M)