Exemptions from the FoodShare Work Requirement for Adults Ages 18 Through 49

Certain adults ages 18 through 49 who do not have any children living in the home may need to meet a work requirement to keep getting FoodShare benefits.

However, some FoodShare members may be considered exempt and may not need to meet the work requirement if they are:

  • Living with a child under age 18 who is part of the same FoodShare household.
  • The primary caretaker for a person who cannot care for himself or herself.
  • The primary caretaker for a child under age 6 who does not live in the home.
  • Physically or mentally unable to work. This includes being homeless long-term. Being homeless long-term means you will not have a regular place to stay for the next 30 nights.
  • Pregnant.
  • Receiving or have applied for unemployment insurance.
  • Taking part in an alcohol or other drug abuse (AODA) treatment or rehabilitation program.
  • Enrolled in an institution of higher learning at least half-time.
  • Age 18 or older attending high school at least half-time.
  • Enrolled in Wisconsin Works (W-2) and complying with W-2 requirements.
  • Working 30 or more hours per week or are earning wages equal to 30 or more hours per week at the federal minimum wage.​
  • Living in an unemployment exemption area or are a tribal member living on tribal land or a reservation that has an unemployment exemption. Effective October 1, 2020, all of Wisconsin qualifies for an unemployment exemption.

Note: FoodShare members may need to provide proof that they meet an exemption.

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

Last Revised: February 19, 2021