Under Wis. Admin. Code ch. DHS 110, a Wisconsin-licensed registered nurse (RN) or physician assistant (PA) who is not licensed as an EMS professional may replace a certified first responder or licensed emergency medical technician (EMT) as a member of an EMS crew, or work as an adjunct to the EMS crew, if certain conditions are met. However, the presence of an RN or PA on an ambulance does not allow the EMS service to practice at a level beyond that authorized in its scope of practice for the level it is licensed. The limitations placed on the use of RNs and PAs by EMS providers ensure that public health and safety are protected and consistent EMS service is provided throughout Wisconsin.
To be added as a member of a legal crew operating on your RN/MD/PA license, you will need to complete the following items:
- If you do not have a Wisconsin E-Licensing account, you will need to create an account in the Wisconsin E-Licensing system. If you are setting up your initial E-Licensing account, you can use the E-Licensing Account Setup Instructions P-00617 (PDF) to assist you with the initial set-up process.
- After you create your EMS E-Licensing account, you will log into your account and navigate to the "Applications" tab in your EMS E-Licensing account where you will select the "Certification Reporting" application in your EMS account. This application is used to verify your CPR certification and your ACLS certification if you are operating at the paramedic level.
- You will need to meet with your service director and medical director to review the current scope of practice, documentation of equivalent education, and demonstrated competencies for all skills based on the Wisconsin EMS provider level at which you will function. You will also need to complete the RN, PA, and MD and verification form F-00614 (Word).
- Administrative Rules
- Communication Plan (EMS)
- CPR-Course Information
- EMS Section
- Name Change
- Scopes of Practice
- WARDS (Wisconsin Ambulance Run Data System)
- WEAVR (Wisconsin Emergency Assistance Volunteer Registry)
- Wisconsin State Statutes, Chapter 256
- DPH Numbered Memo 16-04 : Use of RNs, PAs, MDs as EMS professionals
If you have any questions, please contact the Wisconsin EMS office at 608-266-1568 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org