The Division of Public Health provides a secure, web-based reporting system called the Wisconsin Ambulance Run Data System (WARDS) Elite. Ambulance service providers are able to enter and submit their ambulance run information electronically via the Internet.
This web-based program is available at no charge to Wisconsin ambulance service providers.
The program provides each ambulance service with the following:
- Ambulance run reporting
- Can be customized for each service
- Provides printable run reports
- Houses an internal email system that does not go out into cyberspace
- Provides ability to setup and monitor CQI within the system
- Has over 50 pre-programmed quality assurance and/or quality improvement reports
- Ad-hoc reporting
- A dashboard to post notifications for both the State EMS Section and each service provider
Other third-party data collection or ePCR programs may be used as long as they are able to interface with WARDS Elite and have been certified by NEMSIS. The program must be able to pass the required Schematron file and obtain a Validation Score of 96 or higher.
- WARDS is easy to use.
- An electronic report replaces the written ambulance run report.
- Data available to the service will be current.
- Continuous quality improvement (CQI) functions are included in the program.
- Service information is available at the manager's fingertips for annual reports, budget requests, training records, and other performance measures such as EMS Compass.
- System will assist in identifying interventions that work best for patients by comparing interventions used with different conditions and patient outcomes.
- System allows use of less expensive pads and tablets with touch screens for more efficient data entry. Full functioned computers and laptops are no longer required.
- Hospitals are able to access the Service Run Report in ePCR as soon as it had been entered or uploaded WARDS Elite.
WARDS Elite is a secure, web-based system. A User ID and password are required to access the system. All licensed personnel are given an account once their Local Credential Agreement (LCA) for a service is approved through the E-Licensing database. From the E-Licensing account homepage a link that will take you directly into your WARDS Elite account. Users are then able to use their same E-Licensing login info in the WARDS Elite login page. If you ever run into difficulties you may recover your password using the link on either login page. If still unsuccessful please call our office during regular business hours at 608-266-1568 or email the EMS Program.
For hospital personnel to have access to the patient care reports for those patients transported to their facility a new WI Hospital Hub database has been made available. This database will allow access to both previous WARDS v.2 reports as well as the new WARDS Elite v.3 reports. We will be working with the Trauma and EMS Coordinators for these facilities to provide Administrative level access so they can maintain their own roster of personnel with access. If you would like to request access as a User or Administrator to the WI Hospital Hub, please have the Trauma Coordinator or EMS Coordinator for the hospital call 608-266-1568 or emailthe EMS Program.
NEMSIS is a national database that stores aggregate data from all participating states. Statistical information may be obtained from this database on a variety of topics such as disposition, elapsed times and delays, medical- or trauma-related transports, and specific diagnoses such as cardiac arrest. None of the data provided to NEMSIS contains any patient's protected health information (PHI). Wisconsin has been providing data to NEMSIS since 2013.
The original version of NEMSIS used for WARDS was version 2.2.1. Currently WARDS Elite is based on NEMSIS v.3 database and capable of accepting either version v.3.3.4 or v.3.4 data. Below are resources that can be used to identify the data that is either required or optionally provided by all services statewide.
- v.3 dFacility.03 Code List Updated 11/2019 (Excel)
- WARDS Elite Link
- NEMSIS - Wisconsin Info Page
- NEMSIS v3 Datafield Instructions (PDF)
- NEMSIS v3 Data Dictionary (PDF)
WARDS Elite Training Aids
- How to Login to WARDS Elite Directly from E-Licensing
- How Your Accounts are Linked Between E-Licensing and WARDS Elite
- Correcting A Locked Login Access in WARDS Elite
- Agency Information Required for NEMSIS Uploads
- How to Update or Add a Vehicle to a Service Roster
- How to Remove Personnel From a Service Roster
- Assigning Medications & Procedures by License Level
- How to Review an Upload From Another Software System
Entering and Retrieving Data
For further information about WARDS Elite, contact our office at 608-266-1568 or email the EMS Program.