The Wisconsin Division of Public Health provides a secure, web-based reporting system called the Wisconsin Ambulance Run Data System (WARDS). Ambulance service providers are able to enter and submit their ambulance run information electronically via the Internet. This web-based program is available at no charge to Wisconsin ambulance service providers.
The program provides each ambulance service with the following:
- Ambulance run reporting
- Can be customized for each service
- Printable run reports
- Over 100 pre-programmed quality assurance and/or quality improvement reports
- Ad-hoc reporting
- An internal service-wide email system
- A website for each ambulance service provider to customize
Other data collection programs that ambulance service providers may be using are able to interface with WARDS, allowing services to continue to use those programs. The only requirement is for the program to create an XML file for uploading to WARDS.
- WARDS is easy to use.
- A printable report takes the place of the ambulance run report.
- Data available to the service will be current.
- Continuous quality improvement functions are included in the programming.
- Service information is available at the manager's fingertips for annual reports, budget requests, training records, and other measures of performance.
- System can help find spikes in symptoms and allow for investigation and early identification of possible disease outbreaks.
- System will assist in identifying interventions that work best for patients by comparing interventions used under different conditions against the patient outcome.
Software for ambulance service providers that prefer to use a laptop computer or a tablet system is available at a reduced cost from the same vendor that hosts the WARDS system.
WARDS is a secure, web-based system, and therefore a User ID and password are required to access the system. All licensed personnel are given an account in WARDS when their Local Credential Agreement (LCA) for a service is approved. For new users, be sure to try the same User Name and Password used in your E-Licensing account. Otherwise, please contact your Service Director first. If questions still exist, please have your Service Director contact either Chuck Happel at 608-266-0471 or email@example.com or Paul Wittkamp at 608-261-9306 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are requesting Hospital Access, please have the Trauma Coordinator or EMS Coordinator for the hospital contact Chuck Happel at 608-266-0471 or email@example.com.
- 2013 Average Patient Age (PDF, 14 KB)
- 2013 Provider Impression (PDF, 20 KB)
- 2013 Time of Call (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2013 Fractile Response (PDF, 51 KB)
- 2012 Average Patient Age (PDF, 14 KB)
- 2012 Provider Impression (PDF, 20 KB)
- 2012 Time of Call (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2012 Fractile Response (PDF, 51 KB)
- 2011 Average Patient Age (PDF, 14 KB)
- 2011 Provider Impression (PDF, 20 KB)
- 2011 Time of Call (PDF, 15 KB)
- 2011 Fractile Response (PDF, 51 KB)
NEMSIS is a national database that stores aggregate data from all participating states. Statistical information may be obtained from this database on a variety of topics such as disposition, elapsed times and delays, medical- or trauma-related transports, and specific diagnoses such as cardiac arrest. None of the data provided to NEMSIS contains any patient's protected health information (PHI). Wisconsin has been providing data to NEMSIS since 2013.
The version of NEMSIS currently being used in WARDS is version 2.2.1. There are plans to upgrade to a newer updated version 3.3.4. Below are resources that can be used to identify the data that is either required or optionally provided by all services statewide.
- Current Destination Code List (PDF, 333 KB)
- WARDS link
- WARDS Wisconsin Modified DRF (Dynamic Run Form) (PDF, 16 KB) Instructions for using the new graphical interface form to create Run Reports within WARDS.
- WARDS Information for First Responder Services (PDF, 30 KB)
- WARDS Information for Service Directors (Word, 29 KB)
- WARDS data elements (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Data definitions (PDF, 39 KB)
- NEMSIS v.3 Dates
- NEMSIS v3 Datafield Instructions (PDF, 218 KB)
- NEMSIS v3 Data Dictionary (PDF, 2.5 MB)
- Wisconsin_NEMSIS v3 Data Elements - Abbreviated Version (PDF, 224 KB)
- Wisconsin_NEMSIS v3 Data Elements - Full Version (PDF, 326 KB)
For further information about WARDS, contact Chuck Happel at 608-266-0471 or firstname.lastname@example.org.