In Wisconsin EMS all certification and licensure are issued under the authority of Wis. Stat. ch. 256 and Wis. Admin. Code ch. DHS 110. Students that are enrolled in an initial Wisconsin Emergency Medical Services educational course for the EMT level and above at an approved Wisconsin EMS training center must apply for an EMS Training Center Training Permit to complete the field and clinical portion of the course. Documentation and materials needed to determine eligibility are outlined below.
You will need to complete all of the following as part of your Training Center Training Permit application under Wis. Admin. Code § DHS 110.15.
To apply for a training center training permit the applicant shall meet all of the following requirements:
- The individual is 17 years of age or older.
- The individual is enrolled in an initial emergency medical services practitioner training course offered by a training center certified by the department.
- The individual has successfully completed a CPR course at the healthcare professional level within the last two years by a CPR organization specified under Wis. Admin. Code § DHS 110.17 (1).
- If applying for an emergency medical services practitioner training permit above the EMT level, the individual has a current emergency medical services practitioner license.
- The applicant provides any additional information the department requests during its review of the application.
You will need to create an EMS account in the Wisconsin E-Licensing system if you do not already have and EMS account in the Wisconsin E-Licensing system. You cannot create duplicate accounts. If you need additional assistance you can use the Forgot Username or Forgot Password feature so you can log into your existing account. If you cannot recover your login information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your first and last name as it appears on your EMS account, your date of birth and correct email address.
- Please correctly enter your legal name and demographic information. The information entered into the Wisconsin EMS system links to the National Registry of EMT’s (NREMT) for primary source verification of your NREMT status. Your NREMT and your Wisconsin E-Licensing system demographic information must match for the systems to link properly.
- Wis. Admin. Code § DHS 110.13(4) states “an EMS professional shall notify the department of any change in his or her name, address, or other information kept by the department within 30 days of the change, using the department’s electronic licensing system or, at the department’s request, submitting updated information to the department in paper form.” Please make sure the email address entered in your E-Licensing account is current and that you are able to access it regularly. Our office uses the email addresses in E-Licensing to communicate with all EMS professionals.
Complete the “Certification and Reporting” application
- This application is located in the "Applications" tab on your E-Licensing account. Complete this application to reflect your current CPR certification to support your Wisconsin EMS application. You must hold current CPR certification at the professional level by an organization specified under Wis. Admin Code. § DHS 110.17 (1). You will need to upload copies of your current CPR card(s) into your EMS account as part of the application.
- To upload copies of your other certification card(s) into your EMS account by navigating to your account “Document” tab. Once you are in the “Document” area, you can upload a document by using the “Upload a Document” feature.
How to Apply
You will need to log into your E-Licensing account. Once you are logged into your EMS account you will navigate to the “Application” tab and select the “Training Center Training Permit Application.”
You will need to upload a copy of your current CPR card into the application.
You will need to select the level of EMS course for which you are requesting a Training Center Training Permit.
You will need to enter the Wisconsin EMS E-Licensing system course number. This is the number generated by the E-Licensing system not the course catalog number.
You will need to enter your Wisconsin EMS course completion date. (This date will be the date your EMS Training Center Training Permit expires.) Your instructor will provide you this information.
You will need to select the Wisconsin EMS Training Center where you will be attending the EMS course.
Subject to Wis. Stats. §§ 111.321, 111.322, and 111.335, the individual does not have an arrest or conviction record that is substantially related to performing the duties of an emergency medical responder or emergency medical services practitioner, as determined by the department. If you have an arrest or conviction record, or suspension of driving privileges you must include this information on your “EMS Practitioner Initial License Application” and provide the relevant documentation to support the “EMS Practitioner Initial License Application.” process.
- You can provide the relevant documentation to EMS account by navigating to your account “Document” tab. Once you are in the “Document” area, you can upload a document by using the “Upload a Document” feature.
- The Department of Health Services will determine on a case-by-case basis if arrest or conviction records are substantially related to performing the duties of an EMS professional.
Office Fax: 608-261-6392