EMS: Information for Medical Directors
The Wisconsin EMS (Emergency Medical Services) medical director is a doctor who gives medical oversight for EMS across the state. They often get input from the EMS Physician Advisory Committee on medical issues. They also can make suggestions separate from other advisory groups.
Our current EMS medical director is Riccardo Colella, DO, MPH, FACEP. Contact him at Mario.Colella@dhs.wisconsin.gov.
What an EMS medical director does
The EMS medical director:
- Provides quality-of-care direction for the EMS system.
- Develops and puts into action a focused quality improvement program. It helps with continued system and patient care improvement. The medical director gets input from the Physician Advisory Committee. They also help create a medical director handbook.
- Writes and/or reviews standard treatment, triage, and operating protocols.
- Offers guidance to help set up more structured and standardized procedures for giving pre-hospital care. They also guide hospital designation and/or categorization.
- Joins committees through the Office of Preparedness and Emergency Health Care, EMS section, and/or EMS Advisory Board.
- Helps develop EMS response for disaster preparedness.
- Meets with the EMS Physician Advisory Committee.
- Connects the state EMS office and the medical community.
- Helps EMS set up and revise rules and regulations.
- Serves as the primary medical advisor for the EMS office on all medical matters.
Medical director resources
These resources help medical directors perform the duties of their role. Expand a topic and select a link to learn more.
- Introduction (PDF)
- Module 1—A Brief History and Overview of EMS (PDF)
- Module 2—EMS Systems (PDF)
- Module 3—Part One: Medical Oversight (PDF)
- Module 3—Part Two: Medical Oversight “Clinical Issues” (PDF)
- Module 4—Personnel and Education (PDF)
- Module 5—EMS System Responsibilities (PDF)
- Module 6—Wisconsin EMS (PDF)
- Module 7—Special Issues: Writing Protocols (PDF)
- Module 8—Special Issues: Quality Assurance (PDF)
- Module 9—EMS for Children (EMSC) (PDF)
- Module 10—Weapons of Mass Destruction, Bioterrorism, and EMS (PDF)
- Check & Inject—Epinephrine Injection Process (PDF)
- EMS Training Curricula
- EMS Standards and Procedures of Practical Skills Manual, P-00908 (PDF)
- EMS: Educational Requirements for 2020–2023 Late Renewal and Reinstatement
- EMS: HIPAA Privacy Rule—Frequently Asked Questions
- Wisconsin EMS Scope of Practice
- Wisconsin Sample Guideline—Injection Preparation and Administration Guideline (PDF)
- Do Not Resuscitate Information
- EMS: Contact Us
- EMS: Complaints and Investigation
- EMS Boards and Subcommittees
- EMS Physician Advisory Committee
- EMS: Verification of Wisconsin Certification or License
- Lights and Siren Transport Recommendations Provided by the Physicians Advisory Committee (PAC), P-01011 (PDF)
- Patient Side Training Report, F-00703 (PDF)
- Tribal Aging and Disability Resource Specialist (TADRS) Application, F-00576 (Word)
- Trauma Care System
- Wisconsin Ambulance Run Data System Elite
- Wisconsin Health Care Emergency Preparedness Program